Rewinddance.Blogspot.Com

Rewind- Melbourne's most recognised Hip hop crew, steps on center stage to take on 30 nations worldwide in the prestigious World Hip hop International dance competition...Join us on the journey...

REWIND is on MYSPACE!
www.MYSPACE.com/RewindDanceProductions

Saturday 7 July 2007

Rewind HHI Crew- Interview with Monica


Picture Description: Raw, Beatphonik talent- Monica

I first saw Monica as a crew member from the now disbanded, XS-Tekniq. In a short period of time, she has achieved a level style and execution that most dancers train years and years to obtain. This natural talent has lead her dance technique to be the envy of many female hip hop dancers in Melbourne. We're thankful and honored she has accepted to compete along side Rewind and with her involvement and I dont think we could have asked for a stronger line up of female dance talent for the HHI comp...(Watch out HHI...Mwahahahaha!)


Whats your full Name?: Monica Rivo

How long have you been dancing?:
I've been dancing since mid-2004..

Which crews have you performed with?:
I am forever grateful to XS-Tekniq, performing with this crew introduced me into the dance scene. Have also performed with Hey Mamma (collaboration with Vikings girls). Have been fortunate to dance with Rewind previously, alongside our American friends for a Van Son show. I am currently in Detour & Beatphonik with whom I've grown as a dancer in both crews. Love you guys! A huge thank you to all, especially the above, who've aided me through the journey so far. Your encouragement keeps me going.

What has been your most memorable experience with Hip hop dance and why?:
The memorable experiences have been throughout rehearsals, events & comps - particularly the 'Chess' show with Beatphonik.

As well as the wave of emotions whether it be the adrenalin generated by the cheers from the crowd, the uplifting feeling when executing choreography or the joy after a performance. It's been awesome to be able to share it all with my family BP. It's also been memorable to have met many great people, formed close friendships, not to mention meeting my beautiful guy James. It's been very rewarding to have inspired others to pursue dancing too!

Something quite unforgettable to me is a memory which begun years ago when I never knew hip hop dance crews existed. I watched in awe of Rewind performing at Mercury Lounge. During the dance I can recall saying to my mates, "Wow... I want to dance with them". From that memory I viewed Rewind a pioneer in the hiphop dance scene. They're a good bunch of friends who I still admire, and now it's an honor to compete against the world with you guys..... yippeeeee!

What are you looking forward to most about going to LA and competing at HHI?:
Am definitely looking forward to the warm weather & spending QT with Rewind. We'll be hitting the theme parks, taking dance classes, shopping & visiting our American buddies. In terms of competing at HHI, I can't wait to meet & watch the other talents from around the world and performing at such a high-level comp. The nerves & excitement will be flying high no doubt!

Do you have any tips for other hip hop dance crews or dancers?:
Some tips for aspiring dancers and those who are just starting out.. Dance with passion. If you love it, go for it. Encouragement helps but believe in yourself. Feedback will help you improve. Challenge yourself - attempt & experiment with different styles and practice makes perfect!

All the best,

Mon

Search

Google